All-Nighter Committee asks for help from community
Marlborough – Facing a budget shortfall caused by a drop in donations, the Marlborough High School (MHS) Senior All-Nighter Committee is sending out a plea for help to all parents of MHS students and to area businesses.
"We are definitely feeling the eff ects of the economy," All-Nighter Committee Co- Chair Charlotte Bukowski said. "Donations from local business, which fund a big portion of the event, are down significantly, as are donations from parents and families in the school system. We know times are tough for us all, but we are asking everyone to help either by supporting our upcoming fund-raisers or donating whatever amount they can, no matter how small."
The All-Nighter is a longtime tradition in Marlborough that benefits the entire community, Bukowski noted. While senior parents in particular are being asked to "step up," all parents are urged to help.
This is the 24th year that parent volunteers have held the Senior All-nighter, which takes place at the Wayside Racquet and Swim Club immediately following the Senior Prom. The event provides graduating seniors and their guests with an alcohol- and drug-free party that features entertainment, games, food and many outstanding prizes.
The success of the event is dependent upon active participation from parents and the community. Although the MHS staff and administration support the All-Nighter philosophically and physically, the committee does not receive financial assistance from the school district. All funds to finance the event are donated by individuals and businesses in the community.
"Believe me, we are a very frugal group of volunteers," Bukowski said. "We make many of the decorations and games, use items from our own homes if necessary, and always find the best deals when we have to purchase something. We save and reuse many items from year to year."
Ways to help include:
1. Senior parents can buy/ sell raffle tickets. For additional raffle tickets, contact Charlotte Bukowski at bukow@ comcast.net.
2. Make a financial donation. Donations in any amount can be made out to Marlborough High School All-Nighter and mailed to MHS, c/o All-Nighter Committee, 431 Bolton Street, Marlborough MA 01752
3. Attend a wine-tasting at the Vin Bin Sunday April 26 from 5 to 7 p.m., 27 South Bolton Street. A portion of all sales that night will be donated to the All-Nighter. Tickets are $5 each and can be purchased in advance or at the door. For tickets, call Liana Masson at 508-460-6849.
4. On Sunday May 3 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., Kami & Company will provide haircuts for $16 and 15-minute chair massages for $12, with 50 percent of all proceeds to benefit the All-Nighter. In addition, the salon will hold a raffl e fo r a "Da y o f Beauty." Kami & Company is located at 172 Pleasant St.
5. Consider donating a few hours to support the event and ensure graduating seniors and their dates have a safe and memorable prom night.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=4769