Of Historical Note: Safety Hub
By Lori Berkey, Contributing Writer
Southborough – The photo of this brick structure was taken at 19 Main St. in Southborough. This building opened its doors in March 1930 and served as Peters Annex for lower school grades through June 1970. That’s according to the book, “Old Southborough A Photographic Essay Southborough Historical Society 1981.” On May 1 the following year, per this source, the building became quarters for the Southborough Police Station.
According to historical information posted on the Southborough Police Department’s website, http://southboroughpd.com, constables were appointed the first year the town was incorporated in 1727, but the first chief of police was not appointed until 1930. Seven part-time constables, all men, were also appointed to work under the chief. The Southborough Police Department is now led by a female chief.
Lengthy details of the department’s past are revealed on its site, including its record of the department existing out of Town Hall in the 1960s, before moving to the 19 Main St. spot. The site further relays that discussions had taken place over several years in consideration of options for refurbishing, expanding police quarters or building a new facility, but a final agreement has not yet been reached. According to the posting, some upgrades were eventually able to be made in the space, and the department remains in the same location.
Of Historical Note is a weekly segment of the Community Advocate that features a hidden or well-known object from one of our newspaper’s six communities.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=16890