The C.A. six tips of the day for March 30
On this day in 1981, President Ronald Reagan was shot outside a Washington, D.C., hotel by John Hinckley Jr., a drifter who claimed he shot the president to impress actress Jodie Foster. Hinckley also shot White House Press Secretary James Brady, Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy and District of Columbia police officer Thomas Delahaney.
The 70-year- old president was shot in the left lung, and the .22 caliber bullet just missed his heart. Reagan impressed the entire nation by walking into the hospital under his own power and even joked with hospital staff, saying, “Please tell me you’re Republicans.” Reagan, McCarthy, and Delahaney all recovered completely from their injuries. Brady, who was wounded the most critically, nearly died and suffered permanent brain trauma.
On this day in 2009, U.S. President Barack Obama, in a move intended to prop up struggling automakers General Motors (GM) and Chrysler, announced the two companies would receive government bailouts if they restructured their business models. The two companies had been hit hard by the global economic crisis but critics claimed that their problems were the result of years of mismanagement, issues with labor unions and failure to keep current with global consumer trends. In spite of Obama's deal, GM filed bankruptcy two months later. At the time it was the fourth-biggest U.S. bankruptcy in history.
A number of famous singers will celebrate their birthday today including M.C. Hammer (1962), Tracy Chapman (1964), Celine Dion (1968), and Norah Jones (1979).
Here are six tips for the day –
1. Tomorrow morning there will be two fun, Easter-related events in Westborough.
2. St. John's High School will be celebrating a very important milestone tomorrow night – 50 years in Shrewsbury. The school will be holding their 10th annual Gala to commemorate the occasion.
3. How about a great night of comedy to benefit a wonderful organization, the Easter Seals? Check the link for information on the event which will be held tomorrow night in Shrewsbury. http://communityadvocate.com/2012/03/08/shrewsbury-easter-seals-comedy-night/
4. River's Edge Community Band will be holding its 10th anniversary concert at Hudson High School tomorrow night at 7:30 p.m.
5. In these still trying times, we can all use some help with our financial planning. Women (and men) are invited to attend this free seminar which will be held on April 3 at Assabet Regional Technical High School.
6. Marlborough Hospital isn's just a place to go when you are sick or injured – it's also a community resource center. Check here for a list of classes and support groups the award-winning hospital offers local residents.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=20034