The C.A. six tips for the day for April 17
Region –Today is Tuesday, April 17, the 108th day of 2012. On this day in 1961, a group of CIA-financed and -trained group of Cuban refugees landed in Cuba in an attempt to overtake the regime of communist dictator Fidel Castro. The so-called Bay of Pigs invasion however ultimately failed in its mission.
On this day in 1815, a huge volcano erupted in Indonesia, killing nearly 100,000. The massive amounts of ash from the eruption were so immense that the sun was not seen for several days. It also affected climates worldwide – global temperatures were reported lower over the next year and even reportedly caused snow and frost in New England that summer.
Today’s birthdays include – Victoria Beckam, aka “Posh Spice” (1974), ex-football star Boomer Esiason (1961) and the late “60 Minutes” journalist Harry Reasoner (1923).
Here are six tips for the day –
1. On Thursday, April 19, the Arts Alliance in Hudson will be holding a reception for its Members Art Exhibit and then will its annual meeting.
2. On Thursday, April 19, the Shrewsbury Finance Committee will be continuing its public hearing as it prepares for the town’s Annual Town Meeting which will held on May 21. Interested residents are encouraged to attend the hearing.
3. It’s that time of year – gardening season! The Northborough Garden Club is seeking to line up donations for their annual plant sale which will be held May 19.
4. Along the lines of gardening, the Southborough Garden Club is offering a scholarship this year. For more details -
5. Many towns have recreational softball leagues for adults. This one in Westborough has just one requirement – that you just want to have fun.
6. It’s several days away but Westborough will be holding its annual town-wide clean-up on Saturday, April 21. If you can’t make it that day, consider doing your own mini clean-up this school vacation week in your own neighborhood.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=20636