The C.A. six tips of the day for April 19
This is a particularly bloody day in the history of America. On this day in 1775 the American Revolution started and in 1861 the first blood was drawn in the Civil War.
On this day in 1989, the country was shocked by the random beating of a young female jogger in New York’s Central Park by five Harlem teenagers.
On this day in 1993, the FBI launched a tear-gas assault on the religious cult Branch Davidian compound, ending a 51-day standoff between the federal government and the cult. 80 Branch Davidians, including 22 children, perished in a fire allegedly ordered set by the cult’s leader David Koresh during the altercation.
Exactly two years later, a massive truck bomb exploded outside the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. 168 people, including 19 children who were in the building’s daycare center, were killed in or as a result of that explosion, the worst act of terrorism on American soil at the time. Timothy McVeigh, a former U.S. Army soldier, was convicted and executed by lethal injection on June 11, 2001.
Today’s birthdays include – tennis star Maria Sharapova (1987), actor James Franco (1978), actress and activist Ashley Judd (1968) and Suge Knight, the rap mogul and co-founder of Death Row Records (1966).
Here are six tips for the day -
1. Northborough resident Dr. Sara Shields is very modest, but there’s no denying she is an accomplished physician that has helped many at-risk women get the medical care they need. Read about this inspiring doctor here -
2.The late Greg Montalbano was a Westborough resident, and baseball star for St. John’s High School, Northeastern University and several minor league teams before his life was cut short at age 31 from cancer. A fundraiser in his memory will be held in Hopkinton Sunday, April 22.
3. Celebrate Earth Day on Sunday, April 22 with a special concert at the First Parish Unitarian Universalist Church in Northborough.
4. Warm weather means yard sale season has begun! Here’s one that will be held for a great cause this Sunday, April 22 in Northborough.
5. Members of Southborough’s police and fire departments will be playing a basketball game against current and former members of the New England Patriots on Sunday, April 22.
Details are here –
6. Shrewsbury will be holding an electronic recycling day on Sunday, April 22.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=20670