The C.A. six tips of the day for April 24
On this day in 1800 legislation was approved by President John Adams to establish the Library of Congress. $5000 was allotted to purchase 964 volumes from London which were then stored at the library’s first site, the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C.
In 1814 nearly all of library’s books, which by then numbered 3,000, were destroyed when the British Army invaded the city and burned the Capitol.
Former president Thomas Jefferson then offered to sell his personal collection to Congress, who approved the measure. Unfortunately, in 1851, yet another disaster struck when a fire destroyed nearly two-thirds of the collection, including many from Jefferson’s collection.
On this day in 1982, Jane Fonda, the sometimes controversial actress and activist added another title to her resume – workout queen – when she released the first of her many exercise videos.
Three divas of entertainment celebrate their respective birthdays today – singer and the first “American Idol” winner, Kelly Clarkson (1982), legendary singer, actress and director Barbra Streisand (1942) and actress, director and reincarnation advocate, Shirley MacLaine (1934).
Here are six tips for the day -
1. Thankfully no one was hurt in this terrible six-alarm fire in Marlborough yesterday. Click here to see some pictures from the scene.
2. The Friends of the Southborough Library will be hosting a meeting for new members Thursday, April 26 at 7:30 p.m.
3. Dress for Success is a fabulous, inspirational organization that has changed the lives of so many women in need who just needed a break. The Dress for Success Worcester chapter will be holding a Ladies Night Out at Wagner Mercedes-Benz of Shrewsbury on Thursday, April 26.
4. If you are a local businessperson, and not yet a member of the Corridor Nine Area Regional Chamber of Commerce, you really should check out one of its events, like the monthly breakfast that will be held Thursday morning, April 26. Check here for more details -
5. The Fay School will be hosting a presentation by Sam Kennedy and Dr. Charles Steinberg from the Red Sox front office on Thursday, April 26. The event is free but you must pre-register. More information here -
6. Two candidates, one an incumbent and the other a former selectman, are both vying for one seat on the Shrewsbury Board of Selectmen at this year’s Annual Town Election on May 14.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=20964