The C.A. six tips of the day for May 23
By Bonnie Adams, Government Editor
Region ?Today is Wednesday, May 23, the 144th day of 2012. Today is also Linnaeas Day in Sweden. Swedish botanist and zoologist Carolus Linnaeus, who was born in 1707, created the binomial nomenclature, the system that is still used today to classify animals and plants by genus and species.
On this day in 1934, two of most America's most notorious criminals – Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow – were shot to death by state police in Louisiana. By the end of their two-year reign of crime, Parker, Barrow and the rest of the Barrow Gang had killed 13 people, including nine police officers.
On this day in 1969, the Who released their fourth album, the classic rock opera about “the deaf, dumb and blind boy/pinball wizard,” Tommy.
Today's birthdays include – comedian Drew Carey (1958), singer Jewel (1974) and actress Joan Collins (1933).
1. Shrewsbury Arts Alive and First Congregational Church of Shrewsbury will be holding a family-friendly drumming circle on Friday, May 25.
2. According to the town of Southborough's website, garden plots are still available. Contact Debbi Molinaro, Community Garden Coordinator, at Southboro.firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
3. Hudson residents seeking information on the town's “21 Day Herbicide Application/Notification” can click here – ?http://www.townofhudson.org/Public_Documents/HudsonMA_BBoard/018CA42F-000F8513
4. There's still time for college students to apply for Marlborough's summer internship program. The deadline is this Friday, May 25 at 5 p.m. For information go to the city's website and click on the “Public Service Internships applications now available” link.
5. The repair work on Northborough's downtown roads is progressing slowly but surely. The town's website has updates –
6. If you are a Northborough resident, this is a great idea for a unique wedding or graduation gift.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=22238