The C.A. six tips of the day for June 20
By Bonnie Adams, Government Editor
Region –Today is Wednesday, June 20, the 171st day of 2012. It is also the first official day of Summer 2012.
Just in time for summer, on this day in 1975, one of the most iconic movies ever was released, “Jaws.” The movie, directed by Steven Spielberg, tells the tale of a great white shark that terrorizes a small New England town. The movie alternately thrilled audiences and kept them scared enough to stay on their beach blankets instead of taking a dip in the ocean. This was Spielberg’s first big hit; he was only 27 at the time.
On this day in 1947, Benjamin “Bugsy” Siegel, the notorious gangster who helped bring organized crime to the West Coast, was shot three times in the head while at his mistress’s house. No one has ever been charged in his death.
Today’s birthdays include actress Nicole Kidman (1967), actor John Goodman ((1952) and Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys (1942).
Here are six tips for the day -
1. Tough weekend for local athletes but they deserve kudos for making it as far as they did.
2. A wonderful Marlborough agency, Employment Options, Inc., who has helped so many, now finds itself in need of support.
3. Northborough Police are warning of a scam artist who has taken advantage of the kindness of several residents.
4. “Classical Indian Dance” will be presented Thursday, June 21,at the Shrewsbury Public Library.
5. It’s finally summer – time to get outside and move! Perhaps this program sponsored by the Hudson Public Library, “It’s not about the hike,” will inspire you. More details can be found here –
6. The towns of Southborough and Westborough will be holding a public auction on Saturday, Jue June 30 that will feature a wide array of equipment and bicycles.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=23457