The C.A. six tips of the day for June 28
Region – Today is Thursday, June 28, the 179th day of 2012.
On this day in 1997, boxer Mike Tyson bit both ears of his opponent Evander Holyfield. It was not quite the knockout Tyson anticipated – the bites not only cost him the match (and the estimated $30 million purse) it resulted in a yearlong suspension as well.
On this day in 1994 members of the terrorist cult, Aum Shinrikyo, released sarin gas in a Tokyo subway station, killing seven and injuring 660.
Today’s birthdays include – Elon Musk, the American engineer who founded PayPal (1971), movie director Mel Brooks (1926), and football star John Elway (1960).
Here are six tips for the day –
1. Westborough will be holding its annual Fourth of July Block Party tomorrow, Friday, June 29 from 6:00 to 10:00 p.m. More details can be found here –
2. After months of rancor, the superintendent of the Marlborough Public Schools, Dr. Anthony Pope, has resigned.
3. As of July 1, the MBTA is raising prices across the board, including the commuter rails. More details can be found here -
4. The Indian Meadows Golf Course may be up for sale, but the owners want everyone to know that for now, the course, (and the restaurant Acadia) are still very much open for business.
5. Shrewsbury’s own Caitie Coates is competing in the Miss Massachusetts Scholarship Pageant this weekend. Click on the link to learn how you can help her -
6. The Southborough Senior Center will be hosting its 2nd annual Alice’s Gift Shop Sale from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday, June 29. Lots of items such as jewelry, household items and knitted items will be available for purchase. Proceeds will go to help fund programs at the Senior Center. http://www.communityadvocate.com/2012/06/22/southborough-alices-gift-shop-sale/
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=23796