The six tips of the day for July 9
Region – Today is Monday, July 9, the 191st day of 2012. If you are Australian or Palaun (an island country located in the South Pacific) then today is your national holiday, Constitution Day.
On this day in 1877 the very first All England Croquet and Lawn Tennis Club tournament, aka “Wimbledon,” was held. That first year, the only match was the men’s singles – W. Spencer Gore defeated William Marshall for that title.
On this day in 1948, Leroy “Satchel” Paige, 48, pitched two innings for the American League’s Cleveland Indians in a game against the St. Louis Browns. Paige was of course, not a rookie – he had been a star for 21 years in the Negro League. In spite of losing that game, he went on to have tremendous success culminating with his induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1971.
And on this day in 1962, Bob Dylan released what many would call the unofficial anthem of the civil rights movement – “Blowin’ in the Wind.”
Today’s birthdays – actors Tom Hanks (1956) and Jimmy Smits (1955) and musician Courtney Love (1964).
Here are six tips for the day –
1. We know you have heard it before but during the “dog days of summer,” it’s important to make sure your pets are kept cool and hydrated. Check out this link for some helpful tips -
2. And speaking of dogs, here’s a great article about a fantastic organization, Greyhound Friends.
3. Adults and kids are invited to participate in the Shrewsbury summer concert band series this summer. Check the link for more information -
4. Summer might be a lazy time for many but certainly not for local libraries! Many offer free or discounted passes to local attractions. Here’s a sampling of one from Westborough –
5. Here’s a fun idea for kids at the Northborough Free Library on Tuesday, July 10 – making an edible camp fire! (Please note that pre-registration is required.)
6. Recently 20 members of the Westborough High School class of 1947 celebrated their 65th reunion! If you would like to share good news like this with our readers, please email Managing Editor Kathy Behan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=24184