The C.A. six tips of the day for July 18
Region – Today is Wednesday, July 18, the 200th day of 2012. On this day 1969, Senator Edward Kennedy and his passenger, Mary Jo Kopechne, left a party on Chappaquiddick Island, off the coast of Martha’s Vineyard. With Kennedy behind the wheel, the car went off a bridge into a pond. Kennedy was able to escape but Kopechne did not. Her body was not recovered until the next day after Kennedy finally reported the accident.
On this day in 1940 Franklin D. Roosevelt was nominated for the third of his four terms as president of the United States. FDR is the only U.S. president to serve more than two terms. And thanks to the 22nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which was passed in 1947, U.S. presidents are limited to serving only two terms.
And on this day in 1925, Volume One of Adolf Hitler’s autobiography, Mein Kamf, was published.
Today’s birthdays include – actor Vin Diesel (1967); entrepreneur Richard Branson (1950) and former South African president and activist Nelson Mandela (1918).
Here are six tips for the day -
1. A 5K/Fun Run will be held on Saturday, July 28 to benefit the Shrewsbury Recreation and Parks Dept. Special Needs Program.
2. This is a beautiful story about a former Westborough couple who faced great adversity with grace, courage and love.
3. The Westborough Youth and Family Services have a great slate of programs on tap for its popular Hot Summer Nights program, including two free ones that are coming up soon.
4. It sure doesn’t feel like Christmas weather, but nonetheless, the Northborough Free Library is “in the spirit” – they are holding Christmas in July event tomorrow, Thursday, July 19 for kids in grades one to three. (Please note that registration is required)
5. “Charlotte’s Web, the Musical” will be performed at Hudson High School, 69 Brigham St., July 19 and 20, at 7 p.m., by the middle school students of the Arts Alliance Summer Drama Workshop.
6. State Rep. Matthew Beaton, R-Shrewsbury, will be at the Shrewsbury Senior Center, 98 Maple Ave. from 9 to 10 a.m. on Thursday, July 20. Constituents can meet with Beaton on a first-come, first-served basis. No appointment is necessary.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=24471