The C.A. six tips of the day for July 20
On this day in 1969 a truly “out of this world” experience occurred: Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. His simple words as he did so – “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind” – proved prophetic as space travel from that moment triumphantly changed forever.
On this day in 1968 the first International Special Olympics Summer Games were held in Chicago. The Games were organized by physical education teacher Anne McGlone Burke, with financial backing from the Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr. Foundation.
And on this day in 1973, the actor and martial-arts expert Bruce Lee died from a brain edema that may have been caused by a reaction to a prescription painkiller. Lee, who was only 32, reached legendary, almost mythical status after his death.
Happy birthday today to – music legend Carlos Santana (1947); former Boston Celtic (and now sadly) Miami Heat basketball star, Ray Allen (1975); and Mrs. Tom Brady, aka supermodel Gisele Bundchen (1980).
Here are six tips for the day -
1. There are still spots open in this great program for girls in Westborough.
2. This event – whether you walk or run – is a wonderful opportunity to help out the Shrewsbury Parks and Recreation Department’s Special Needs program.
3. Thanks to increased ecoli, a popular Marlborough beach has been shut down temporarily. http://www.communityadvocate.com/2012/07/19/marlboroughs-macdonald-beach-closed-due-to-ecoli/
4. Here’s a chance to enjoy a great evening out under the stars in Westborough!
5. The following Shrewsbury streets are scheduled to have an application of asphalt rubber surface treatment with aggregate cover put on them sometime between now and the end of next week. http://www.shrewsbury-ma.gov/egov/docs/1341602299567.htm
6. Every week we have lots of great classifieds ads – in print and on our website! Here are the ones for the July 20 issue.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=24597