The C.A. six tips of the day for Aug. 1
By Bonnie Adams, Government Editor
Region – Today is Wednesday, Aug. 1, the 214th day of 2012.
On this day in 1981, music changed, for better or worse, with the advent of MTV – Music Television. The very first video to air was “Video Killed the Radio Star” by the Buggles.
On this day in 1966 Charles Whitman climbed to the observatory platform atop a 300-foot tower at the University of Texas and shot 46 people, killing 14 people and wounding 31.
On this day in 1914 the “Great War,” aka World War I, started after Germany and Russia officially declared war against each other. Battle lines were drawn as Russia, France, Belgium, and Great Britain faced off against Austria-Hungary and Germany.
Today’s birthdays include – the late rock legend Jerry Garcia (1942); rapper Coolio (1963); and the late Francis Scott Key, composer of “The Star Spangled Banner” (1779).
1. Gaudete Academy’s Summer Shakespeare production of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” will be performed August 2, 3, and 4, at 7 p.m. each evening at Saint Anargyroi Greek Orthodox Church, 9 Cashman St., Marlborough.
2. Tomorrow night, Aug 2 the Marlborough 2012 Summer Concert Series will feature the Silver City Band. The two-hour performance takes place on Union Common, 91 Main St.
3. A family –friendly movie will be shown at the Northborough Free Library Friday, Aug. 3. More details here –
4. The reinstatement of Adam Bakr to the post of assistant principal to Marlborough High School ends a long saga in that city.
5. Here’s a cool photo of a young man who performed at the Summer Festival in Hudson to help raise funds for a wonderful cause – Andrew’s Helpful Hands.
6. One great organization, the Westborough Woman’s Club, recently made a generous donation to another terrific local group, Westborough Youth & Family Services.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=24937