The C.A. six tips of the day for Aug. 31
By Bonnie Adams, Government Editor
On this day in 1997, Diana, Princess of Wales, her boyfriend, Dodi Al-Fayed and the driver of their car, Henri Paul, were killed in a car accident in Paris. Many theories still abound regarding the crash such as an assassination plot against Diana and Al-Fayed, a paparazzi chase, or that Paul was tremendously intoxicated. None have been proven and mystery still surrounds the circumstances of the crash to this day.
On this day in 2005, 1,199 people died in a stampede on the Al-Aaimmah bridge in Baghdad.
And on this day in 1888, the first of the victims attributed to the notorious English serial killer “Jack the Ripper,” was killed. Like many of the other victims, Mary Ann Nichols was a prostitute. But it has never been determined if there was actually one killer or several other “copycat” killers.
Happy birthday today to – actor Richard Gere (1949); musician Van Morrison (1945) and the great violinist Itzhak Perlman (1945).
Here are six tips for the day -
1. Marlborough is the latest community to take measures against mosquitoes that could potentially be carrying the West Nile virus and/or Eastern Equine Encephalitis.
2. Shrewsbury residents may want to take advantage of the long weekend to do some yard work – there is only more day (Saturday, Sept. 15) to drop off yard waste at the town’s municipal garage.
3. Potential members of the Assabet Valley Mastersingers will be welcomed at an open rehearsal Tuesday, Sept. 4, from 7:30 to 9:45 p.m., at St. Mark’s School, 25 Marlboro Rd. (Route 85), Southborough.
4. Another vocal group, the Master Singers of Worcester, invite singers to attend open rehearsals Tuesday, Sept. 4 for the upcoming four-concert season. All voice parts are welcome, especially basses and tenors.
5. The Northborough Garden Club will hold their annual meeting Tuesday, Sept. 4, at 6:30 p.m., at the Northborough Senior Center, 119 Bearfoot Rd.
6. Here’s a great story about a young Shrewsbury man who doesn’t let his health problems get in the way of having fun – or helping others.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=25733