The C.A. six tips of the day for Sept. 4
Region – Today is Tuesday, Sept. 4, the 248th day of 2012.
On this day in 2002, Kelly Clarkson won the first American Idol competition. She has since become a best-selling recording artist, one of the few winners to do so.
Before Michael Phelps there was another superstar of American swimming – Mark Spitz. On this day in 1972, he won his seventh Olympic gold medal at the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich. That record would stand until Phelps won his eighth gold at the 2012 Beijing games.
And on this day in 1957, Arkansas Governor Orval Faubus, in a blatant violation of the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision that racial segregation in schools was unconstitutional, enlisted the National Guard to prevent nine African American students from entering Little Rock’s Central High School. A huge crowd of whites also gathered at the school in an effort to intimidate the students. In the ensuing weeks, the tension continued as President Dwight Eisenhower sent 1,000 U.S. troops to Little Rock to enforce the court’s decision and to allow the “Little Rock 9” as they came to be known, to enter the school.
Today’s birthdays – superstar Beyonce (1981); radio/television personality Dr. Drew Pinsky (1958) and the late radio newscaster/commentator Paul Harvey (1918).
Here are six tips for the day -
1. Well, it’s September, the kids are back in school and the days are getting shorter. And many local groups are gearing up for a busy fall and winter season. Be sure to check our calendar section frequently so you don’t miss a thing. And remember, we’d love to know what’s happening with you! Please feel free to send story ideas, news tips and photos to Managing Editor Kathy Behan at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can use the handy “Submit a story idea!” button on the front page of our website.
2. St. Luke’s Adult English Language Learners program will soon be starting in Westborough. More information can be found here -
3. “Welcome to Handbells!,” a free class for new handbell ringers, will be held tomorrow, Wednesday Sept. 5 (as well as Wednesday, Sept. 12) from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m., at the First Congregational Church of Shrewsbury, 19 Church Rd., Shrewsbury. This “how-to ring” class is for anybody, adult or youth, fifth grade and older, who’d like to learn how to play bells.
4. Now that school has started, young kids might have a bit of trouble getting back into the habit of reading. But in Northborough, there’s one reason they might be clamoring to do so – the return to the town library of Harbour Grace, a specially trained therapy dog who is certified to be a good listener. Please note – registration is required for sessions with Harbour Grace.
5. The Westborough Senior Center will be hosting an Open House tomorrow, Wednesday, Sept. 5 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. All are welcome to stop in and hear about some of the great programs on the center’s slate for this fall.
6. Marlborough Hospital offers a monthly breast cancer support group from September to June. The group will meet tomorrow, Wednesday, Sept. 5, from 7 to 8:30 p.m., in the Schwartz Conference Room at the hospital. For more information –
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=25843