The C.A. six tips of the day for Sept. 7
Region – Today is Friday, Sept. 7, the 251st day of 2012.
On this day in 1996, hip-hop recording star Tupac Shakur was shot in Las Vegas, NV. Although he survived the attack, he died several days later from his wounds. He however did make a “comeback” of sorts when a hologram of the rapper appeared at the Coachella music festival in April.
On this day in 1986, Bishop Desmond Tutu became the first black man to become archbishop and head of South Africa’s Anglican Church. One of Tutu’s last public engagements was at St. John’s High School in Shrewsbury in May 2010. You can read about that here –
And on this day in 1940, London came under siege as Germany began the first of 57 consecutive nights of bombing. The “blitzkrieg” continued until May 1941.
Three musicians share a birthday today – the late Buddy Holly (1936); Gloria Gaynor (1949) and Chrissie Hynde (1951).
Here are six tips for the day -
1. We’re introducing a new feature on our website – Flashback Friday. Each Friday morning we will post a picture from the past, courtesy of one of the fabulous area Historical Societies. Here’s a great picture from the Shrewsbury Historical Society.
2. If you are wiped out from trying to get your family back on schedule now that summer is just about over, don’t add more stress by worrying about cooking. Instead, take your family out to one of the many great restaurants in our area. We have many of them conveniently listed here for you.
3. Sunday, Sept. 9, a multi-synagogue, community-wide High Holy-day Happening will take place from 10 a.m. to noon at Congregation B’nai Shalom, 117 East Main St., Westborough.
4. The public is invited to attend a Country Fair at New Horizons in Marlborough this Sunday, Sept. 9. The fair includes a BBQ extravaganza, games, concession stands, Tom Ruggles Dixieland Band, petting zoo and much more!
5. The ConnectingPoint Church in Marlborough will be hosting a new program – Couch-to-5K – designed to get people moving this fall.
6. The Northboro Area Community Chorus (N.A.C.C.) will begin open rehearsals Tuesday, Sept. 11, at 7:30 p.m., at Algonquin Regional High School, 79 Bartlett St., Northborough.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=26019