The C.A. six tips of the day for Sept. 19
Region – Today is Wednesday, Sept. 19, the 263rd day of 2012. Today is also “International Talk Like A Pirate” Day.
On this day in 1988, American diver Greg Louganis won gold in the springboard competition in the Seoul, South Korea Olympics. What was so remarkable about his achievement was that just the day before he had hit his head on the board during the preliminary part of the competition.? Although he required five stitches to close his wound, he went on to finish that day's event before winning gold in the finals.
On this day in 1995 the Washington Post and he New York Times published the manifesto written by Theodore John “Ted” Kaczynski, aka the “Unabomber.” This is credited with helping to identify the man the FBI called a “domestic terrorist.
And on this day in 1985, Tipper Gore, the wife of then Senator Al Gore, along with several wives of other politicians, formed the Parents Music Resource Center (PMRC). The committee's goal was to help parents get more control over the access their children had to music that was deemed to be violent, sexual or promoted drug use.
Happy birthday today to – chef/TV personality Mario Batali (1960); “60's supermodel Leslie “Twiggy” Lawson; and actor ?Adam West, best known for his TV role as Bruce Wayne, aka “Batman,” (1928).
Here are six tips for the day –
1. Shrewsbury business owners and commuters have been advised that there will most likely be delays this morning due to the funeral procession for Mass. State Trooper Lt. Matthew J. Murray.
2. Dr. Louis Fazen will speak Thursday,? Sept. 20, at 7 p.m., at the Southborough Library on the topic of “Stop Dying and Save Healthcare Costs!” Fazen is a Southborough resident and the Chair of the Southborough Board of Health.
3. Thursday, Sept. 20, from 7 to 8 p.m., a free “homework help for parents session” will be held at the Marlborough Public Library. As part of the Thursday Night Lights! Workshops, the reference staff will teach you how to find the best resources for student research papers; cite resources using web tools; and help your children become self-sufficient researchers … no matter what their age.
4. The Marlborough Education Foundation Annual Meeting will be held Thursday, ?Sept. 20, at 7:30 p.m., at the Marlborough High School Media Center, 431 Bolton St. The public is invited.
5. Westborough resident Greg Montalbano was a young baseball star at St. John's High School in Shrewsbury who went onto ?become a prospect in the Boston Red Sox organization until he lost a courageous fight with cancer when he was only 31. A golf tournament will be held in his honor this Friday, Sept. 21 at the Highfields Golf & Country Club in Grafton.
6. Rail transportation is a subject that has come up at many government meetings, including ones held in Westborough, especially as it pertains to rail giant CSX. ?Lieutenant Governor Tim Murray recently released a report of an agreement the state has reached with CSX. ?http://www.mass.gov/governor/administration/ltgov/initiatives/enhanced-rail-service.html
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=26436