The C.A. six tips of the day for Sept. 20
Region – Today is Thursday, Sept. 20, the 264th day of 2012.
Before Menudo, the Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC and One Direction, there was another hugely popular boy band – the Bay City Rollers. On this day in 1975 the Scottish heartthrobs made their American TV debut on Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell. By coincidence, “Saturday Night” was also the name of their first and biggest hit.
On this day in 1973, tennis star Billie Jean King, 29, beat a former men’s champion and self-proclaimed male chauvinist Bobby Riggs, 55, in a highly-publicized match.
And on this day in 1881 Chester Arthur was sworn in as the 21st U.S. president. What was unusual about this was that he was actually the third man to serve as president that year. Rutherford B. Hayes started the year in office, finishing his first and only term. James A. Garfield was elected in March but was then assassinated four months into his term. Arthur, the vice president, was then sworn in.
Today’s birthdays include – iconic actress Sophia Loren (1934) hockey legend Guy Lafleur (1951) and legendary Boston Celtics coach, Arnold “Red” Auerbach (1917).
Here are six tips for the day –
1. Did you know you can find the sports schedules for many area schools at the Midland Wachusett League’s website?
2. The St. Bernadette parish annual fall festival scheduled for this weekend has been postponed until Oct. 26 and Oct. 27.
3. The Northborough/Southborough Special Education Parent Advisory Council (NSPAC) will hold its welcome back dessert/coffee hour this Friday, Sept. 21, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., at Algonquin Regional High School’s cafeteria/patio, 79 Bartlett St., Northborough.
4. The New England Amputee Association is proud to present a night of hilarity and entertainment Friday, Sept. 21, at 8 p.m., at the Hudson Portuguese Club, 13 Port St., Hudson.
5. A drum circle will be held Friday, Sept. 21, from 6 to 9:30 p.m., in Gifford Hall at First Congregational Church, 19 Church Rd., Shrewsbury.
6. The town of Hudson is in the Community Development Strategy planning stages for its next round of Block Grant Funding.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=26489