The C.A. six tips of the day for Sept. 21
Region – Today is Friday, Sept. 20, the 265th day of 2012. It is also the last day of the summer for 2012.
On this day in 1938, the Great New England Hurricane of 1938 struck Long Island and southern New England. By the end of its wrath, 564 people had been killed, another 1700 injured, nearly 9,000 homes destroyed and 15,000 damaged. (For more information go to http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/hurricane/hurricane1938.shtml.)
On this day in 1981, Sandra Day O’Connor was unanimously approved by the U.S. Senate as the first female Supreme Court justice.
And on this day in 1937 the classic novel was published, “The Hobbit,” by J.R.R. Tolkien was published.
Happy birthday today to – country superstar Faith Hill (1967); master horror novelist Stephen King (1947); and actor Bill Murray (1950).
Here are six tips for the day –
1. Here’s another great photo from our Flashback Friday series, this time courtesy of the Marlborough Historic Society.
2. If you are new to Westborough or live in town but haven’t met many other residents yet, this event is for you!
3. The Northboro Hash House Harriers running club is inviting new runners and walkers of both sexes to participate in the “Red Dress Run” Saturday, Sept. 22, from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. The event is open to adults and over. There is no charge for the run, and there are optional beer tickets and food available for purchase. A portion of the food and drink ticket proceeds will be donated to local charities. Men and women are invited to wear a comfortable red dress, and have some serious fun and exercise.
4. It’s definitely 5k season! Here’s information on an event that will be held in Marlborough Sunday, Sept. 23.
5. Fall is just starting (officially tomorrow) but auditions will take place Sunday, Sept. 23 for the River’s Edge Players’ holiday production of “A Christmas Carol, The Musical.” More information can be found here –
6. The Interboro Community Band is seeking adults and mature students (grade 9 and up), who are able to play at the level of a high school band to join their group. The new season kicks off Monday, Sept. 24.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=26527