The C.A. six tips of the day for Oct. 8
Region – Today is Monday, Oct. 8, the 282nd day of 2012.Today much (but not all) of the nation celebrates Columbus Day.
On this day in 1871, the Great Chicago Fire broke out. By its end, between 200 to 300 people had been killed, over 17,000 buildings destroyed and nearly $200 million dollars in damage ($3 billion in 2007 dollars) assessed. No one knows for sure but a cow knocking over a lamp, a comet or plain human error have all been touted to blame.
On this day in 1956, New York Yankees pitcher Don Larsen, who had been in the dog house for much of the season, came out in a big way. Larsen not only pitched a no-hitter, he had a perfect game (no runs, no hits, no errors and no batter reached first base). His achievement against the Brooklyn Dodgers was the first time ever in World Series action.
Love it or hate it (and there are legions of both), on this day in 1982, “Cats” opened on Broadway.
Happy birthday today to actors Angus T. Jones (1993); Matt Damon (1970); and Chevy Chase (1943).
Here are six tips for the day -
1. The Community Advocate’s much-anticipated Fall Improvement 2012 Guide is now available. Copies are also in all our current print version of the paper. If you can’t locate one and would like a copy, please email your name and address to email@example.com and we’ll be happy to send you one.
2. The Marlborough Public Library will be hosting a workshop on “Planning for Retirement” on Tuesday, Oct. 9, from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. Marlborough resident and Financial Professional Robert Roselli from the Highland Financial Group will lead the workshop and discuss important things to consider when planning for retirement.
3. The River’s Edge Chorale will be holding an open rehearsal on Tuesday, Oct. 9 at the Hudson High School. All are welcome to attend.
4. Local gardens, neighborhoods and wild lands are being overrun by several dozen plants that evolved in far-away continents. On Wednesday, Oct. 10, noted expert Peter Alden will be discussing this crisis as the Colonial Garden Club of Marlborough presents “Friend or Foe: The Invasive Alien Plant Crisis in Massachusetts.” The meeting will take place at 7 p.m. at the Jaworek Elementary School, 44 Hosmer St., Marlborough.
5. October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. This tribute in front of the Forbes Municipal Building in Westborough is a poignant reminder.
6. It’s still a bit away but the Shrewsbury Child Development Committee (SCDC) will be holding its annual Toy and Baby Gear Sale Saturday, Nov. 3, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Sherwood Middle School in Shrewsbury.
This year, the SCDC will also be collecting suitcases for a nonprofit agency based in Worcester that serves children called “Children’s Friend.”
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=27120