The C.A. six tips of the day for Oct. 12
Region – Today is Friday, Oct. 12, the 286th day of 2012.
On this day in 2000, 17 crew members were killed and 39 wounded when the USS Cole was attacked by two Al-Qaeda suicide bombers in Aden, Yemen.
On this day in 1998, University of Wyoming student Matthew Shepard died after being viciously attacked by two anti-gay bigots. The case sparked sadness and outrage throughout the world.
It’s often now associated with autumn beers but “Oktoberfest” actually originated on this day in 1810 as a way to commemorate the marriage of Bavarian Crown Prince Louis, (later known as King Louis I of Bavaria) and Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen. Early Oktoberfests had lots of festivities including horse racing; present day events mostly involve beer.
Born on this day – the late opera superstar Luciano Pavarotti (1935); actor Hugh Jackman (1968); and skiing champion Bode Miller (1977).
Here are six tips for the day -
1. Tomorrow, Saturday, Oct. 13, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Woofstock 2012 Dog Festival will be celebrated at the Hudson Elks Pavilion, 99 Park St., Hudson. The event is a fundraiser for the Buddy Dog Humane Society.
2. St. Matthias Parish, 409 Hemenway St., Marlborough, is hosting its 6th Annual Indoor Yard Sale Saturday, Oct. 13, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. There will be a wide variety of quality used goods: furniture, jewelry, vintage collectibles, gently used and new clothing, and household and children items, as well as books, DVDs and CDs, and much more.
3. Sunday, Oct. 12, Preservation Worcester will hold its 5th annual “Better than Your Average Yard Sale”from 11 a.m. to noon (preview) and noon to 4 p.m. (open to general public) at the Architectural Garage, 5 Harrison St., Worcester.
4. Performances of “Hansel and Gretel,” based on the fairy tale by The Brothers Grimm, will be held Saturday, Oct. 13, at 8 p.m., and Sunday, Oct. 14, at 2 p.m., in Southgate’s Flanagan Theater in Shrewsbury.
5. The Marlborough High School boys’ soccer 1st Annual Food Fest will be held Sunday, Oct. 14, from 12 noon to 5 p.m. (or until the food runs out!) at 222 East Main St. (Post Road Plaza), Marlborough. http://www.communityadvocate.com/2012/09/21/marlborough-mhs-boys-soccer-food-fest/
6. The town of Northborough has an update on its website regarding the Otis Street project.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=27302