The C.A. six tips of the day for Oct. 15
Region – Today is Monday, Oct. 15, the 289th day of 2012.
On this day in 1991, after a bitter confirmation hearing that left much of the nation divided, the U.S. Senate voted 52-48 to confirm Clarence Thomas to the U.S. Supreme Court. The hearing had turned contentious when a former aide to Thomas, Anita Hill, testified that he had sexually harassed her.
The National Hockey League may be in another lockout, but it was not on this day in 1989 when superstar Wayne Gretzky of the Los Angeles Kings broke the league’s scoring record of 1,850 points. Ironically the team Gretzky scored his record breaking points again was his prior team, the Edmonton Oilers.
And on this day in 2007, comedian and actor Drew Carey took over the hosting duties of The Price is Right, the longest-running daytime game show in television history. Carey replaced Bob Barker, who retired at the age of 83 after hosting the show for 35 years.
Happy birthday today to – Sarah Ferguson, the former Duchess of York (1959); chef Emeril Lagasse (1959); and actress/director Penny Marshall (1942).
Here are six tips for the day -
1. If at all possible, you should try to avoid downtown Northborough tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday this week, police urge. The area will be undergoing paving as part of the ongoing construction project.
2. Nearly 500 Westborough residents came to honor a hometown daughter, Lizzi Marriott, Saturday evening, Oct. 13.
3. There are 29 articles on the warrant for tonight’s Special Town Meeting in Westborough, including one regarding a potential new Fire Station. The action starts at 7 p.m. in the Westborough High School auditorium. The complete warrant is here –
4. Northborough/Southborough (NSPAC) and Westborough (SEPAC) Special Education Parent Advisory Councils will be hosting a workshop, “Basic Rights in Special Education” tomorrow night, Oct. 16, from 7 to 9 p.m., in the library at Algonquin Regional High School.
5. Southborough resident Dr. Louis Fazen will moderate a discussion tomorrow night, Oct. 16 on an issue that will be on the November ballot: should marijuana be legalized for medicinal purposes? The event will be held at the Southborough Library.
6. Is clutter taking over your life or perhaps the life of a family member? The Friends of the Shrewsbury Senior Center, Inc. will present Dave Downs’ program on Clutter Control tomorrow, Oct. 16, at 1 p.m., at the Shrewsbury Senior Center.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=27387