The C.A. six tips of the day for Oct. 16
Region – Today is Tuesday, Oct. 16, the 290th day of 2012.
On this day in 1987, an 18-month-old Texas girl, Jessica McClure, was rescued after being trapped for two and half days in an abandoned well near her aunt’s daycare center. Millions of people around the globe watched the dramatic rescue of “Baby Jessica.”
On this day in 1793, Marie-Antoinette, the wife of the former king of France , was beheaded. She is best known for the comment, “Let them eat cake!” in response to being told French peasants did not have bread to eat.
And on this day in 1996, 84 people were killed and 100 more injured during a stampede before a soccer match in Guatemala City.
Happy birthday today to three musicians – John Mayer (1977); Flea, of the Red Hot Chili Peppers (1962); and the Grateful Dead’s Bob Weir (1943).
Here are six tips for the day -
1. Wednesday, Oct. 17, from 6:30 to 8 p.m., the Northborough Free Library will host Beth Finch McCarthy, professional genealogist (BFM Research), on Genealogy Workshop 101: Who ARE You, Anyway? Please note – pre-registration is required for this program. http://www.communityadvocate.com/2012/09/21/northborough-genealogy-101-workshop-at-library/
2. A special seminar, “Prescription Drugs: Keeping Control of What You Are Using and How Much You Are Paying For It” will be presented at the Southborough Senior Center on Wednesday, Oct. 17. Boxed lunches will be presented by Mirick O’Connell.
3. The Friends of the Marlborough Public Library will be hosting Dr. Gary Hylander on Wednesday, Oct. 17 as he presents a special program on Eleanor Roosevelt. http://www.communityadvocate.com/2012/10/11/marlborough-library-hosts-ellen-roosevelt-program/
4. The city of Marlborough has lifted all the restrictions that were placed on outside activities due to the threat of mosquitos carrying threatening diseases.
5. The town of Northborough has posted an update on the downtown construction project on its website.
6. On Thursday, Oct. 25, the Boys & Girls Clubs of MetroWest will honor the 2012 Partners for Youth as part of the Bids for Kids Auction & Gala held at the Sheraton Framingham Hotel.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=27423