The C.A. six tips of the day for Oct. 18
Region – Today is Thursday, Oct. 18, the 292nd day of 2012.
In a World Series game against the Los Angeles Dodgers on this date in 1977, “Mr. October,” aka New York Yankees outfielder Reggie Jackson, hit three home runs in a row off of three consecutive pitches from three different pitchers.
On this day in 1767, English surveyors Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon completed their survey of the boundary between the colonies of Pennsylvania and Maryland as well as areas that would eventually become the states of Delaware and West Virginia. The men did so at the behest of the Penn and Calvert families, to solve a land dispute.
On this day in 1998, 700 people died when a pipeline exploded in Jesse, Nigeria. The cause of the explosion, which resulted in a massive fire that burned for nearly a week, was never determined.
Happy birthday today to – actor Zac Efron (1987); actor Jean Claude Van Damme (1960); and rock legend Chuck Berry (1926).
Here are six tips for the day -
1. A Fall Rummage Sale, sponsored by the Women’s Fellowship of First Church in Marlborough, Congregational, will be held tonight, Thursday, Oct.18, from 6 to 8 p.m., and Friday, Oct.19, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dollar bags (pay $1 for everything you can put in the bag) will be available on Friday, noon to 1 p.m.
2. The Northborough Historical Society will be holding its Fall Fundraiser, featuring a pizza party and auction, Saturday, Oct. 20.
3. Attention Baby Boomers! The New England New England 50+ EXPO, will be held this Saturday, Oct. 20 and Sunday, Oct. 21 at the Royal Plaza Trade Center in Marlborough. The event is open to all ages and features exhibits, live entertainment, workshops, wellness demos, seminars, Patriots cheerleaders, giveaways and more.
4. “Discovering New England Stone Walls with Kevin Gardner” will be presented at Hudson Public Library Saturday, Oct. 20. There will also be a question and answer period where guests make discuss with Gardner any problems they are having with their walls.
5. Marlborough-based Raytheon Network Centric Systems has stepped up to sponsor the Assabet Valley Regional Technical High School FIRST robotics team, the “AZTECHS 157. “
6. Every week we publish highlights from local police logs on our website and in our paper. Here is the latest one from Shrewsbury -
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=27473