The C.A. six tips of the day for Oct. 19
Today is Friday, Oct. 19, the 293rd day of 2012.
It was on this day in 1987 that “Black Monday,” one of the most dismal days in the stock market’s history, fell. On that day, the Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 508 points, or 22 percent of its total.
We think politics is dirty nowadays but there’s always been nastiness, including in the days of the country’s forefathers. On this day in 1796, former Treasury Secretary Alexander Hamilton, using a pseudonym, attacked presidential candidate Thomas Jefferson in an essay printed in a local newspaper. In the essay, Hamilton accused Jefferson of having an affair with one of his female slaves.
And on this day 1957, Maurice “Rocket” Richard of the Montreal Canadiens became the first N.H.L. player to score 500 goals in his career.
Today’s birthdays include – the late Robert Reed, best known for his role as Mike Brady on “The Brady Bunch” (1932); boxer Evander Holyfield (1962); and actor John Lithgow (1945).
1. A fundraiser for little Brendan Shanahan of Southborough, who is fighting leukemia, will be held Sunday, Oct. 21.
To learn more about Brendan’s brave fight, go to
2. Marlborough Fish and Game will be holding a dinner dance Saturday, Oct. 20. Proceeds from the event, which is held in memory of Paul and Barbara Thomas of Marlborough, will benefit the children’s Christmas party.
3. On Sunday, Oct. 21, a Tax Talk on health care savings will be held at the Shrewsbury Public Library, at 2 p.m.
4. Mass. residents will be asked to decide in the Nov. 6 election if physician assisted suicide should be legalized in the commonwealth. An assisted suicide panel and discussion, with both sides represented, will be held Sunday, Oct. 21, from 2 to 4 p.m., in the Parish Hall at First Church in Marlborough. .
5. The Artist Guild of Shrewsbury will hosting a free showing of the movie “Pollack” on Monday evening, Oct. 22. The event is free and open to the public.
6. The newly named River’s Edge Youth Chorus is looking for young singers in grades 3 through 12 to work with founding choral director Jan Patterson, her assistant, former Youth Chorus member Sarah Worrest, and pianist Stan Hansen for the fall. An open rehearsal will be held Monday, Oct.22 at Hudson High School’s Chorus Room (C110), 69 Brigham St., Hudson.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=27496