The C.A. six tips of the day for Oct. 29
Region - Today is Monday, Oct. 29, the 303rd day of 2012, will go down in history as the day Hurricane Sandy hit New England. By this time tomorrow, we shall have an initial idea of how much damage the hurricane being called a “Frankenstorm” has caused to our region.
In honor of Sandy today’s “days in history” tidbits are all weather-related –
On this day in 2011 New York City received one inch of snow during a late October nor’easter. This was the earliest time since records were kept that the city received measurable snow.
On this day in 1998, Hurricane Mitch, the second deadliest Atlantic hurricane in history hit Honduras. 11,000 people were killed, another 11,000 went missing and over $8 billion in damages were incurred in the Category 5 storm.
And on this day in 1999, a large cyclone, equivalent to a Category 5 hurricane, struck India, killing 10,000 people.
Today’s birthdays – actresses Winona Ryder (1971); Kate Jackson (1948) and actor Richard Dreyfuss (1947).
Just about everything has been cancelled for today and most likely will be for tomorrow as well. With that in mind, today’s six tips will feature links to information on the websites for the six major municipalities in the CA readership area. Here you will find phone numbers, links to other sites and information you will find useful to help you “weather” this and future storms.
1. Hudson – http://www.townofhudson.org/public_documents/index
2. Marlborough – http://www.marlborough-ma.gov/Gen/MarlboroughMA_EmrgncyMgt/index
3. Northborough -http://www.town.northborough.ma.us/Pages/NorthboroughMA_WebDocs/northboroughemergencypreparednesshandbook.pdf
4. Shrewsbury - http://www.shrewsbury-ma.gov/department/?fDD=12-0
5. Southborough – http://www.southboroughtown.com/departments.htm
6. Westborough – http://www.town.westborough.ma.us/Public_Documents/westboroughma_emergencymgmt/emergency.htmroha
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=27896