The C.A. six tips of the day for Nov. 5
Region – Today is Monday, Nov. 5, the 310th day of 2012.
On this day in 2008, a record number of Americans went to the polls and by night's end, had elected the 44th president of the United States, Senator Barack Obama of Illinois.
On this day in 1979, 60 Americans were taken hostage in Tehran after hundreds of Iranian students overtook the U.S. Embassy in Tehran. The students demanded that former leader Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlevi, who had fled the country in January and was being treated for cancer in the U.S., be returned in exchange for the hostages release. The hostages were eventually released moments after Ronald Reagan, the newly elected president took the oath of office on Jan. 20, 1981.
And on this day in 1927, an accumulation of 10 days of extremely heavy rain in New England led to devastating floods, particularly in Vermont. 200 people died and millions of dollars in damages were incurred.
Today's birthdays – the late Ike Turner (1931); Bryan Adams (1959) and Kevin Jonas (1987).
1. You'se listened to all the commercials, you'se read up on all the positions, and you might have even gone to an election rally or two. But are you positive you know where you should go to vote in your town? And what about things like polling hours? Here's a website that can help you out:
2. November is “Hire a Veteran Month” in the commonwealth of Massachusetts. There are a number of workshops for veterans throughout the month; unfortunately none are really local but perhaps might be worth traveling a bit to check out. Here's more information:
3. If you are a hunter you should check out this website to make sure you are up-to-date on all the rules and regulations.
4. The Coolidge PTO is hosting a bake sale tomorrow in conjunction with Election Day , from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., at Calvin Coolidge School, 1 Florence St., Shrewsbury.
5. The Ski Ward Race Team will be holding an Open House, Wednesday, Nov. 7 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Ski Ward Lodge, 1000 Main Street, Shrewsbury. Racers of all levels from ages 5 t 17 are invited.
6. On Wednesday, Nov. 7, the Northborough Free Library will be hosting a talk featuring Ken Gloss, a renowned expert on rare and collectible books, and owner of Brattle Book Shop in Boston. He will also be giving free verbal appraisals (as time permits) of books that audience members bring with them.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=28127