The C.A. six tips of the day for Dec. 12
Region – Today is 12.12.12 – Wednesday, Dec. 12, the 347th day of 2012.
On this day in 1989, “the Queen of Mean,” Leona Helmsley, was sentenced to four years in prison and 750 hours of community service, and ordered to pay a $7.1 million tax fraud fine in New York. Helmsley’s nickname was bequeathed to her by the press after many stories surfaced of her disdain and aversion to those she considered below her, including most vendors.
On this day in 1985, Arrow Air Flight 1285 crashed after takeoff in Gander, Newfoundland. 256 people on board, including 236 members of the United States Army’s 101st Airborne Division, were killed.
And on this day in 1942, 100 people perished in a fire in at a St. John’s Newfoundland hostel.
Today’s birthdays – the late Frank Sinatra (1915); Bob Barker (1923); and Mayim Bialik (1975).
Here are six tips for the day:
1. The Marlborough Country Club will be hosting a “Big Little Holiday Party” tomorrow, Thursday, Dec. 13. The event is billed as a way to “treat employees to an elegant affair by joining with other small and local businesses for a holiday event.”
2. Marlborough Hospital will be lighting its “Tree of Light” tomorrow, Thursday, Dec. 13. There will also be entertainment and refreshments.
3. Westborough residents are invited to stop in and have some refreshments with state Rep. Matthew Beaton (R-Shrewsbury) when he hosts a coffee hour at the Westborough Senior Center Friday morning, Dec. 14.
4. Westborough is now, believe it or not, officially at the start at the beginning of its town election cycle.
Here’s a link to the schedule.
5. Marlborough has now qualified for the highest level of bio-readiness which officials believe will help them attract more business to the city.
6. Here’s the latest update on the downtown Northborough construction project.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=29369