How to hire a home inspector
By Karen Scopetski, V.P. Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
A home is a very big purchase in your life and hiring a home inspector is one of the most important things you can do before you buy your new home. It can be difficult to find a qualified home inspector. You will want to make sure to do your homework before paying for a home inspection. Here are some tips to help you get on the right track to finding the right home inspector.
Ask for opinions.
Ask your friends who have had an inspection recently and your real estate agent who they would recommend. You can also ask the inspector for references. Word of mouth is always a great way to find a reliable professional.
Check with your lender.
Some lenders or loan types require a certain type of inspection. You will want to make sure your inspector qualifies and you obtain the necessary type of inspection.
Ask what the inspection covers.
No two home inspections are the same, so you will want to be sure to know what you are paying for.
Ask questions like:
· What systems are covered in the home inspection?
· Are there some services that require an extra fee?
· Can you give an example or outline of the inspection report?
Ask for a resume or background information.
· Where was the inspector trained?
· Does he or she attend continuing education classes?
· Does the inspector belong to a professional organization? If so, what are the requirements for membership? Entry should require more than just an application fee.
· Does the inspector carry Errors & Omissions insurance? This type of malpractice insurance may come in handy if the inspector overlooks a major problem.
At the inspection
A home inspection is not only a time to find the potential pitfalls. It can also be a time to learn about your new home. Make sure to attend the inspection yourself. Witnessing the inspection firsthand will give you a better understanding of the home and any potential problems.
Karen Scopetski, Vice President Coldwell Banker Residential
318 Main St., Northborough, MA 01532
Referrals are the cornerstone of my business. Your referrals are both welcome and most sincerely appreciated.
Short URL: http://www.communityadvocate.com/?p=53202