March 21st, 2014
By Glenn Parker, Contributing Writer This is an article in an occasional series about important events or things from Westborough’s past. Westborough – In 1948 it was determined by the Massachusetts Department of Public Works that the westerly routes at the time from Boston were sadly inadequate and that the existing Boston and Worcester Turnpike [...]
February 7th, 2014
Westborough’s first Town Hall, 1839-1929
The First District Court of Eastern Worcester was established by an Act of the Legislature in 1872. The new court district consisted of the communities of Westborough, Grafton, Northborough, and Southborough. The court sessions were split three days at the Westborough Town Hall and three days in Grafton. This schedule remained in place until 1929. (Resource: History of Westborough, DeForest, 1891)
Keating Building 1915
In 1915 the court as well as the post office moved into the newly constructed Keating Building on East Main Street. Then in 1929 the County Commissioners had negotiated a lease agreement with the town and moved into the newly constructed Westborough Town Hall. The new court facility was located in the rear of the building on the lower level.
February 7th, 2014
By Glenn R. Parker, Contributing Writer This is the first in a series of articles about important events or things from Westborough’s past. The smoke continues to rise from the Oct. 12, 1917, fire that destroyed the Westborough Trunk & Bag Co. (formerly the National Straw Works), the Hassle Lace and Curtain Co. and the [...]
October 12th, 2012
Northborough – With so much talk over the last month or so about the dangers of mosquitoes, it’s interesting to see how generations before us handled the problem. In this photo, members of the Northborough Department of Public Works (circa 1915) are spraying the town’s trees. As the book, Images of America – Northborough – (in which this photo appears), indicates, the dangers of long-term pesticide use were not yet known.
(Photo/courtesy of the Northborough Historical Society)
September 28th, 2012
- Shrewsbury – In honor of this week’s Spirit of Shrewsbury festivities, this week’s Flashback Friday photo is this great one of the town’s residents decked out their finery at the Promenade at the White City Amusement Park, circa 1917. (Photo courtesy of the Shrewsbury Historical Society)
September 21st, 2012
Marlborough – This photo was taken in 1910 at the corner of Main and Newton Streets during the parade to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the founding of Marlborough. Photo courtesy of the photo collection at the Marlborough Historical Society (www.HistoricMarlborough.org).
September 14th, 2012
Northborough – In honor of the start of football season – and this weekend’s Applefest celebration- here’s a picture of the 1901 Northborough High School football team. (Photo/courtesy of the Northborough Historical Society)
September 7th, 2012
Shrewsbury – As we enter these last hot days of summer, here’s a picture to remind us of what could possibly be coming in just a few months – snow! These men are digging out the trolley tracks on Maple Avenue (which was then known as Long Hill) after the February Blizzard of 1898. (Photo/courtesy [...]