Today is Tuesday, Feb. 21. On this day in history, a great American sport – NASCAR – was officially established. This year Feb. 21 also marks Fat Tuesday, the last day before the official start of Lent.
Here are six tips for the day –
1. In honor of NASCAR, here's a link to story we ran last month (in case you missed it) about a young Westborough race enthusiast, Kaz Grala.
You can always find our past stories in our archives section on our website. Or if you get stuck, give us a call or email; we'sl be happy to help you out. http://communityadvocate.com/2012/01/06/focus-determination-drives-young-westborough-racecar-enthusiast
2. In honor of Fat Tuesday, here's a link to a celebration that will be happening at the Shrewsbury Senior Center today –
3. Tonight from 5 to 6 p.m., the Marlborough Public Library will be holding a pizza tasting contest featuring pizzas from six local shops. Kids in grades 7-12 are invited to come and vote for their favorites. http://communityadvocate.com/2012/02/10/marlborough-pizza-tasting-at-library.
4. Our veterans should not just be thought of on a few special days but every day. The Northborough American Legion Picard Post 234 is always ready to help veterans of all wars and conflicts. Learn more about them here –
5. Once again, Southborough is debating the merits of keeping the Albert S. Woodward Memorial School open. Read more here – http://communityadvocate.com/2012/02/20/will-it-pay-to-close-woodward
6. Today we also bestow kudos to one of Hudson's favorite sons, former Mass. Governor Paul Celluci. After being diagnosed with amytrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) – commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease – last spring, no one would have blamed him if he chose to stay out of the public limelight. But recently the former Gov. has been in the news, helping to bring awareness to this terrible disease. We wish him the best in this fight, which is surely the toughest he has ever faced.