Region – Today is Wednesday, March 7. On this day in 1876, Alexander Graham Bell received the patent for an invention that has had a huge impact on the world – the telephone. Interestingly, his patent filing beat a similar claim by Elisha Gray by only two hours. Both men would certainly be amazed at the advances in telecommunications technology since that day in 1876 when Bell uttered those now famous words –” Mr. Watson, come here, I need you.”
Here are six tips for the day –
1. As Yogi Berra said, “It's deja-vu all over again!” Congratulations to Westborough's two newest selectmen, George Barrette and Denzil Drewry, who were elected yesterday to the board. Both men have served on the board in years past before taking some time off.
2. What could be more frightening than an apartment building fire that starts in the early morning hours? Thanks to the quick response of the Marlborough Fire Dept., with assistance from eleven other towns, all residents of the Liberty Hill Apartments are safe after a three-alarm blaze yesterday morning.
3. Shrewsbury's Parks & Rec Spring Registration opens today.
4. Here's a fun idea for middle school kids, courtesy of the Northborough Library. http://communityadvocate.com/2012/02/24/norhborough-kids-graphic-novel-book-club-meets/
5. Here's a great cultural event happening in Hudson tonight.
6. It's never too late to find love. Just ask Southborough couple Al and Ingamae (Inky) Jones.