Region – Today is Thursday, March 15. On this day in 44 B.C. Gaius Julius Caesar, dictator of Rome, was stabbed to death in the Roman Senate house by 60 conspirators, including his loyal friend, Marcus Junius Brutus.
This moment was captured eloquently in William Shakespeare's “Julius Caesar” when Caesar utters the now iconic phrase to Brutus, “Et tu, Brute?”
Shakespeare also included the phrase “beware the Ides of March” which has come to mean an ill-fated day. (Kind of like when your best friend turns against you and kills you!)
In local sports history, on this day in 1970, Boston Bruins great Bobby Orr, arguably one of the top three players ever to play in the NHL, scored his 100th point in the season. This was extraordinary because Orr was a defenseman. He ended up scoring another 20 points and then was a critical part of the team's Stanley Cup championship run in May of that year.
Here are six tips for the day –
1. Every girl deserves to be as beautiful on the outside as she is on the inside for her prom. This fabulous group in Marlborough strives to make that possible for deserving young women. Read more about the project and its amazing volunteers –
Details on the event itself, which will be held Saturday, March 17, are here –
2. We all know we should be moving more. Why not check out this fun, perfect for everyone in the family, event in Northborough on Saturday, March 17?
3. Saturday is of course, also St. Patrick's Day. Dedicated Westborough voters will be spending the day in the Westborough High School auditorium where they will face some important decisions that will have a significant impact on the town's future.
4. Don's eat leftovers from St. Patrick's Day on Sunday, March 18. Consider checking out the Rotary Club of Northborough's pancake breakfast/scholarship awards instead.
5. Here's another to get some exercise, socialize and help a great cause – the Shrewsbury High School Athletic Boosters .
6. One of the most poignant moments in a parent's life is when their child goes off to kindergarten. Hudson will be holding its kindergarten registration in April on a first-come first- serve basis so you'sl want to read this article if you have a child that will be entering kindergarten this fall.