Remember the religious cult, “Heaven's Gate”? On this day in 1997, the bodies of 39 members of the cult were found dead in San Diego, all of apparent suicide. The cult's leader had preached that suicide would allow them to enter an alien spacecraft hidden behind the Hale-Bopp comet.
He is probably best known for penning “The Great Gatsby” but on this day in 1920, F. Scott Fitzgerald's first successful novel, This Side of Paradise was published. He was only 23.
Here are six tips for the day –
1. Congratulations to Shrewsbury's young artists whose work is being displayed at the Worcester Art Museum this month.
2. A public lottery will be held for the 2012-2013 kindergarten programs at the Armstrong and Hastings Schools on Wednesday, March 28th at 10 a.m. in room 23 of the Forbes Municipal Building. More details here –
3. Do you love old books? If so, you'sl want to check a presentation by Kenneth Gloss, proprietor of the nationally known Brattle Book Shop on March 28. The talk is sponsored by the Shrewsbury Historical Society; more details here –
4. The Northborough Art Guild will have a special guest at its meeting on Tuesday, March 27 – artist Mark Waitkus, the official artist of Major League Baseball.
5. It's been mild so far, weather-wise lately. But Mother Nature was anything but mild last year in Massachusetts, with tornadoes, hurricanes and nor'sasters hitting different parts of the region. Southborough got some welcome news last week – the town will be receiving reimbursements from the federal government
6. This week's Community Advocate Athlete of the Week is Hudson High School basketball standout, Jake Loewen.