By Bonnie Adams, Government Editor
Region- Today is Wednesday, April 11, the 102nd day of 2012.
On this day in 1970, Apollo 13, the third lunar landing mission, was launched from Cape Canaveral, FL. The mission quickly changed course abruptly two days later when an oxygen tank on board the spacecraft exploded. For several days mission control in Houston worked frantically to find a way to get the three astronauts on board home safely. That mission was accomplished when the three were able parachute to safety on April 17.
Bubba Watson was the surprise winner of this year's Master's Golf Tournament at the Augusta National Golf Club. On this day in 2004, it was Phil Mickelson, with his first major championship win in nearly 12 years as a professional golfer.
On this day in 1961, a young Bob Dylan got his first real shot at stardom when he opened for John Lee Hooker at Gerde's Folk City in New York City. The gig helped establish Dylan as an important, new talent in not only American music but also as a cultural icon.
Today's birthdays include – British singer Joss Stone (1987), Joel Grey (1932), Ethel Kennedy, the widow of the late Robert F. Kennedy (1928) , and Oleg Cassini, the fashion designer who was a favorite of the late Jacqueline Kennedy.
Here are six tips for the day –
1. Young children are invited to come and hear some stories about one of America's favorite pastimes – baseball – this Friday, April 13 at the Northborough Free Library.
2. This program for teens at the Marlborough Public Library about the Titanic sounds educational but also like so much fun! Check out the details here –
3. This sounds like a nice way to spend a Friday afternoon – “High Tea” with the Shrewsbury Woman's Club.
4. Marlborough's mayor, Arthur Vigeant, has been a busy man since taking over the city's corner office.
5. All parents should check out this article for some important tips about protecting their kids online.
6. What's the only downfall to getting a new electronic “toy” such as a computer or phone? Figuring out what to do with the old one. Fortunately many communities are having electronics recycling days this spring. Here are two upcoming ones in Hudson – be sure to check the C.A. for information on others that will be happening this spring.