Today is the anniversary of another terrible day in American history – the Columbine High School massacre. On this day in 1999, two teenage gunmen – Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris – shot and killed 13 people and injured another 23 at their Colorado school before killing themselves.
On a much different note, on this day in 2008, Danica Patrick became the first female winner of an IndyCar race when she won the Indy Japan 300 at Twin Ring Montegi in Montegi, Japan.
Happy birthday today to actress Jessica Lange (1949), actor Ryan O’Neal (1941), Star Trek actor George Takei (1937) and John Paul Stevens, a former Associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court (1920).
Here are six tips for the day –
1. Congratulations to Dr. Harvey G. Clermont of Shrewsbury who was recently named the recipient of the Grant V. Rodkey Award. Be sure to read the story to learn about a truly remarkable man and humanitarian.
2. Here's a great way for local artists to share their work – painting original art on the Hudson Rail Trail boulders. More information can be found here –
3. Shrewsbury's Annual Town Election will be on May 1. Voters can hear from the candidates at a forum sponsored by the Shrewsbury League of Women Voters on Monday, April 23. http://communityadvocate.com/2012/04/13/shrewsbury-slwv-hosts-candidates-forum/
4. If you have a child attending college soon, you may want to check out this seminar that will be held at the Southborough Public Library, Tuesday, April 24. http://communityadvocate.com/2012/04/13/southborough-college-financial-aid-night-at-library/
5. If you are in the position of caregiver you may want to attend this program at the Marlborough Public Library on Tuesday, April 24 to learn about assistance that may be available to you.
6. Every parent knows a great babysitter is worth his or her weight in gold. Here's a chance for Northborough sitters and parents to make some connections with each other.