By Bonnie Adams, Government Editor
Region –Today is Monday, May 14, the 135th day of 2012.
On this day in 1914 Washington Senators pitcher Walter Johnson threw his 54th consecutive scoreless inning. The Senators beat the St. Louis Browns that day, 10 -5. Johnson's record held fast until 1968 when Los Angeles Dodgers great Don Drysdale threw 58 and 2/3 innings without allowing a run.
On this day in 1904 the first Olympic Games to be held in the United States opened in St. Louis, MO. The games, however, were not a success, due to being poorly organized and overshadowed by the St. Louis World Exposition which was going on at the same time.
Today's birthdays include – Facebook's creator, Mark Zuckerberg (1984), movie director George Lucas (1944) and actress Cate Blanchett (1969).
Here are six tips for the day –
1. If you live in Hudson, Northborough or Southborough, don's forget – today is your town's Annual Town Election!
Need a refresher on the Board of Selectmen candidates? Read about them here –
2. Tomorrow Westborough residents will decide if they should approve an $11 million debt exclusion for a new Fire Station.
3. This sounds like a fun event at the Shrewsbury Public Library on Wednesday, May 16.
4. Four Northborough Middle School students will be hosting a presentation on Wednesday, May 16 on women's rights around the world.
5. Fun for Southborough's senior citizens who are baseball fans on Tuesday, May 16.
6. Here's a nice story about a local business, the Veron Company, helping out the town of Northborough.