By Bonnie Adams, Government Editor
On this day in 2011, the Boston Bruins defeated the Vancouver Canucks to claim their first Stanley Cup in 39 years.
On this day in 1856, Henry Ossian Flipper became the first African American cadet to graduate from the United States Military Academy at West Point, NY. Flipper, who was born a slave in GA, was then appointed as a second second lieutenant in the all-African American 10th Cavalry. According to reports, he was never spoken to by a white cadet during his four years at West Point.
And on this day in 1904, more than 1,000 people on an excursion on New York's East River were killed when a fire swept through the passenger steamboat, the General Slocum. Most of the dead, in what is considered one of the United States” worst maritime disasters, were women and children attending a church picnic.
Today's birthdays include three popular “90s actors – Courteney Cox, Friends (1964); Helen Hunt, Mad About You (1963), and Neil Patrick Harris, star of Doogie Howser and How I Met Your Mother (1973).
Here are six tips for the day:
1. It's going to be a great weekend! Why not check out the new trail on Walnut Hill in Southborough?
2. Veterans Inc. will be presenting Freedom Festival, a free concert, on Saturday, June 16. The event includes musical entertainment, food, vendors, and a children's area with face painting, bouncy house, and obstacle course!
3. The Russian School of Mathematics in Shrewsbury will be holding an Open House on Monday, June 18.
4.? What's better than reading? Reading out loud to dogs! Kids can get the chance to do this at the Northborough Free Library this summer. Please note that pre-registration is required.
5. Good news for Westborough residents! Two landmark buildings are being renovated plus the West Meadow Plaza will be undergoing some major, positive changes as well.
6. Thespians of all types are invited to audition on Tuesday, June 19, for the Marlborough Ghost Light Players upcoming production of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. ?http://communityadvocate.com/2012/06/08/marlborough-ghost-light-players-hold-auditions-2/