By Bonnie Adams, Government Editor
On this day in 1886, William Howard Taft, the future 27th President of the United States, married Nellie Herron. Although she suffered a stroke during the first year of Taft's term, she was still able to organize the planting of cherry trees along the Potomac River. She was the first lady to publish her memoirs and is the only first lady other than Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to be buried at Arlington National Cemetery.
On this day in 1953, a husband and wife duo convicted of conspiracy to commit espionage, Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, were put to death by electric chair. The couple was convicted of heading a spy ring that passed top-secret information to the Soviet Union regarding the atomic bomb. The Rosenbergs steadfastly maintained their innocence; many believed the couple was victim of the anti-Communist hysteria that was sweeping the country at the time.
Born on this day: Moe Howard, beloved as member of the Three Stooges (1897); baseball legend Lou Gehrig (1903); and “80s singer/personality Paula Abdul (1962).
Here are six tips for the day –
1. Good luck to Shrewsbury resident Caitie Coates who will be performing in the Miss Massachusetts Scholarship Pageant on June 29 and June 30.
2. Karen Moore, the president and CEO of Marlborough Hospital, responds to a report claiming that the hospital's service is only “satisfactory”.
3. ?The Southborough Library will present a viewing of the movie “Inception,” starring Leonardo DiCaprio, tomorrow night, June 20. http://communityadvocate.com/2012/05/31/southborough-movie-night-at-the-library/
4. Corridor Nine Area Chamber of Commerce's 26th annual School/Business Partnership Golf Tournament will be held at Juniper Hill Golf Course Thursday, June 21.
To register or for more information, visit http://www.corridornine.org/events.php?eventid=GOLF%202012.
5. ?The Westborough Public Library will be holding registration for its summer program on Thursday, June 21 starting at 10 a.m. Visit www.westboroughlib.org or call 508-366-3050 for more information.
6. Northborough's Girl ?Scout Troop 30251 is hosting a pet fair at Ellsworth McAfee Park on Thursday, June 21 from 5 to 7 p.m.