Region – Today is Monday, Aug. 27, the 240th day of 2012.
On this day in 2003, Mars made its closest approach to Earth in nearly 60,000 years.
On this day in 1967, one of the men credited with helping the Beatles become so successful, their manager, Brian Epstein, died of an accidental drug overdose in his Sussex, England, home.
And on this day in 1948, New Yorkers continued to suffer through a week-long heat wave that saw temperatures reach up to 108 degrees. ?33 people died that week from heat-related causes.
Today's birthdays – actor Paul Reubens, aka Pee Wee Herman (1952); designer Tom Ford (1961) and the late U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson (1908).
Here are six tips for the day ?
1. Westborough public school students go back to school this Wednesday, Aug. 29. The district's website now has a great deal of information for families, including bus routes, on it.
2. On Thursday, Aug. 30, the Marlborough Senior Center will be hosting a pontoon ride and luncheon on the Concord and Sudbury Rivers. Please note – reservations are required. For more information go here –
3. The Master Singers of Worcester invite singers to attend open rehearsals tomorrow, Tues. Aug. 28 (also Sept. 4) for the upcoming four-concert season. All voice parts are welcome, especially basses and tenors.
4. Marlborough's Labor Day Parade is a beloved tradition in that city. Read this article to see who is slated to come to this year's parade.
5. Three area organizations were the lucky recipients of the first annual charity golf tournament hosted recently by state Rep. Matt Beaton, R- Shrewsbury.
6. With the start of the Burns Bridge replacement project, new regulations have been put in place for Lake Quinsigamond boaters.