By Bonnie Adams, Government Editor
Region – Today is Wednesday, Sept. 5, the 249th day of 2012.
On this day in 1969 U.S. ?Army Lt. William Calley was charged for his part in the My Lai massacre in Vietnam. ?Calley was the only soldier convicted; between 350 and 500 people, most of them women, children, infants, or elderly, were killed in the massacre by a group of U.S. Army soldiers.
And on this day in 1960 Muhammad Ali (who was then known as Cassius Clay) won a gold medal for boxing in the Rome Olympics.
Today's birthdays include – the late singer for Queen, Freddy Mercury (1946); actress Raquel Welch (1940) and the late whiskey maker Jack Daniel (1846).
Here are six tips for the day –
1. Barbara Kessler will be in concert this Thursday, Sept. 6 at the Bay State Common.
2. Speaking of the Bay State Commons, could it someday be home to the Westborough
3. You can get all the up-to-date news on your favorite high school sports team at ?
4. And speaking of high school sports, one of the highlights of Northborough's Applefest weekend will be the big football game between Algonquin and Wachusett.
5. The New England Barbecue Society and Hudson Education Foundation (HEF) are co-hosting HEFferFest, Hudson's first BBQ competition and food festival, Saturday, Sept. 8, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., at the Hudson Elks Lodge, 99 Park St.
6. The Southborough Arts program is participating in a unique fundraiser to benefit the Southborough Food Pantry.