Region – Today is Thursday, Oct. 11, the 285th day of 2012.
On this day in 1975, the iconic NBC show, “Saturday Night Live” premiered. The host was George Carlin and Andy Kaufman, Janis Ian and Billy Preston were the first guests.
On this day in 2002, former President Jimmy Carter won the Nobel Peace Prize.
And on this day in 2001, the Polaroid Corporation filed for federal bankruptcy protection. The move was made after the company suffered major losses which were blamed on the advent of digital cameras.
Today's birthdays – actor Luke Perry (1966); actress Emily Deschanel (1976); and former First Lady, the late Eleanor Roosevelt (1884).
Here are six tips for the day –
1. Award-winning television reporter and novelist ?Hank Phillippi Ryan will be at Tatnuck Bookseller in Westborough ?Saturday, Oct. 13 to discuss her new book, the “The Other Woman.”
2. Sally Johnson Presents and the Boroughs JCC Community Folk Series will present the Boxcar Lilies Saturday, Oct. 13, at 7:30 p.m., with Beggar's Ride opening the show, at the Boroughs JCC, 45 Oak St., Westborough.
3. The Town of Shrewsbury is conducting an online auction of surplus highway vehicles. The auction began Wednesday, Oct. 10 and will close at 5 p.m. on Oct. 24. .
4. It's still a bit away but Northborough residents may want to consider setting aside materials now that they wish to dispose of at the town's upcoming household hazardous waste collection day.
5. There is now a website set up for the Southborough Town Manager Legislation Ad Hoc Committee.
6. Several classmates from the Algonquin Regional High School class of 1962 recently paid a visit to their alma mater.