Region – Today is Thursday, Oct. 25, the 299th day of 2012.
On this day in 1764, one of the most enduring and celebrated marriages in American politics occurred when future President John Adams married Abigail Smith.
On this day in 1983, President Ronald Reagan ordered the U.S. Marines to invade the island nation of Grenada to secure the safety of American citizens residing there.
And on this day in 1994, a South Carolina mother, Susan Smith, claimed that her two small sons were kidnapped in a carjacking. She later confessed that she had driven her car into a lake to drown her boys because her lover did not want children.
Happy birthday to – Boston sports legends Pedro Martinez (1971) and Dave Cowens (1948); and pop star Katy Perry (1984).
Here are six tips for the day:
1. Saturday, Oct. 27, from 10 to 11 a.m., “Dr. JungleStein's Halloween Madness,” a fully interactive show for children ages 3-8, will be held at Fay School in Southborough.
2. Saturday, Oct. 27, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., the Friends of the Marlborough Public Library will present a Fall One Day Book and Bake Sale, with a Friends” “Coffee Shop,” in the Library's Bigelow Auditorium, 35 West Main St., Marlborough.
3. Here's a fun event – a wine tasting at Julio's Liquors in Westborough to benefit the cats and dogs of the Metrowest Humane Society. The event will be held this Saturday, Oct. 27.? For more details go to –
4. The Marlborough High School National Society will be hosting its first annual Halloween Bonanza this Sunday, Oct. 28 from 5 to 7 p.m. in the high school's field house, 431 Bolton St.
5.? It's still a few weeks away but this sounds like a really fun night out – “Northborough's 80's Prom,” sponsored by the Friends of the Northborough Recreation Department on Saturday, Nov. 17. For more details go to:
6. One word describes the reaction of just about everyone in response to the news that we might have to deal with Tropical Storm Sandy next week – ugh. But best be prepared – go to the MEMA site for some good tips.