Region ? Local communities are assessing damage this morning as the region recovers from Hurricane Sandy. Many homes and businesses are still without power; however, officials and residents are thankful the situation is not nearly as severe as the nor'saster that hit last year on this date. That storm, of course, left many towns without power for nearly a week.
Here's the news from around the C.A readership area- we will post more information as soon as we get it.
?Hudson – The Public Schools are closed today.
?Marlborough – The Public Schools are closed today.
?Northborough – All non-essential municipal buildings are closed due to power outages, including all schools. National Grid continues to assess the damages to the main feeder lines entering Northborough but are unsure how long power will remain out.? Approximately 78 percent ?Northborough residents are currently without power.? Residents are encouraged to contact National Grid at 800- 322-3223 to report power outages or down lines.
Trash pick-up will continue on its normal schedule on Tuesday.
Roads Closed Due To Wires & Trees – Jefferson Rd at Proctor School (Tree leaning on wires, road coned off), #47 Meadow between pole #4 and #8 (Low wires, road coned off), Maynard St at Newton St (Tree on wires, road blocked), #180 Rice Ave (Tree and utility pole leaning, leaning and blocking road).
?Shrewsbury – The Public Schools are open today but St. John's High School is not. SELCO reports that there are just a few remaining residences and businesses without power this morning.
The Special Town Meeting will begin as scheduled at 7:00 p.m. tonight, October 30 in the auditorium of the Oak Middle School.
The Shrewsbury Parks Department is reporting that Dean Park is closed due to storm damage.
?Southborough – Approximately 500 homes are still without power. Here's an update from the Southborough Police Department.
1. Nichols @ Clemmons is still closed to vehicular traffic.
2. Pine Hill Road (in front of #89) has one lane open for traffic right now.
3. Deerfoot Road (in front of #60) is closed to vehicular traffic.
4. East Main Street @ Framingham Road is closed to vehicular traffic. This means drivers will not be able to proceed North on Framingham Road at this point.
5. Framingham Road @ Marlboro Road is closed to vehicular traffic.
6. Willow Street @ Route 9 is closed to vehicular traffic.
7. Moulton Road (in front of #3) is closed to vehicular traffic.
8. Burnett Road @ High Street is closed to vehicular traffic.
9. Oregon Road @ Edgewood Road is closed to vehicular traffic (due to Oregon Road in Ashland being closed at Oak Street).
Westborough – The Westborough Public Schools are on a two-hour delay this morning. (No AM pre-school or kindergarten.)
There is some minor flooding on Route 135 east past the Harveys” store. E.L.? Residents should note that? Harveys will also accept storm debris. The Department of Public Works will not pick up storm debris from private property.
According to the Westborough Police Department the town still has 1614 customers without power. All town roads are passable at this time.