Region – Today is Wednesday, Nov. 14, the 319th day of 2012.
With all the current talk of “the fiscal cliff” it's interesting to note that on this day in 1995, a budget standoff between Democrats and Republicans in the U.S. Congress resulted in the federal government essentially running with only a skeleton staff.
Before the Wall Street bailouts of recent years, there was another scandal rocking that esteemed neighborhood. On this day in 1986, Ivan Boesky plead guilty to insider trading and agreed to pay a $100 million fine and cooperate with a Securities and Exchange Commission's investigation.
And on this day in 1882, the life of the legendary frontier outlaw, Billy “The Kid” Claiborne,”? came to an end when he was shot dead by Franklin “Buckskin” Leslie in a Tombstone, Ariz. street.
Happy birthday today to – Condoleeza Rice (1954), Prince Charles (1948), and Curt Schilling (1966).
Here are six tips for the day:
1. The Northborough/Southborough Special Education Parents Advisory Council (NSPAC) is hosting a presentation tomorrow, Thursday, Nov. 15, from 7 to 9 p.m., for parents of special needs children at Algonquin Regional High School.
2. On Friday, Nov. 16, from 6 to 9 p.m., a family-friendly drum circle will be held at the First Congregational Church of Shrewsbury, 19 Church Rd. Cost is $5 per drummer or $12 per family.
3. The Coolidge Elementary School in Shrewsbury will hold its Annual Shopping Spectacular Friday, Nov. 16, starting at 6 p.m. The event will feature over 40 vendors.
4. The Assabet Valley Chamber of Commerce will host a presentation on B.A.N.K., a revolutionary sales system, at the Women's Business Network Friday, Nov. 16 from 11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. Please note – reservations are required.
5. The town of Northborough has released a document detailing the fiscal year 2013 proposed property values.
6. The town of Hudson will be enforcing its winter parking ban starting tomorrow, Thursday, Nov. 15.