Shrewsbury – For the ninth year the Shrewsbury Garden Club is sponsoring its annual Scarecrows on the Common display as part of the town's annual Spirit of Shrewsbury festival.
Last year the Shrewsbury Garden Club and the community were disappointed that the annual contest had to be cancelled due to the threat of mosquitos carrying the West Nile Virus and Eastern Equine Encephalitis.
This year, the club is making plans for a new format which will help keep residents and visitors safe during the event, which will run from Friday, Sept. 27, the first day of the Spirit of Shrewsbury festival, to Friday, Oct.18.
Individuals, groups, businesses and clubs are encouraged to display their scarecrows for all to enjoy.
There will be no judging but all entries will receive special recognition.
How to enter:
1. Create your scarecrow(s) at home.
2. Bring them to the Town Common Monday, Sept. 23 – Thursday, Sept. 26
3. Choose a spot to display your scarecrow.
4. You are responsible for installation. No poles will be provided.
5. Name of club, group, business or individual(s) must appear on the scarecrow.
6. Your entry will remain outdoors for an extended period of time, no perishable goods such as pumpkins, gourds, squash, apples, tomatoes, etc. will be permitted. No electricity is provided but solar, battery or wind power is allowed.
7. Scarecrows may not be attached to the bandstand, memorial or lamp posts.
8. Scarecrows must remain on the common through Oct. 18 and then removed. Any scarecrows remaining after Sunday, Oct. 20 will be discarded at owner's expense.
The Shrewsbury Garden Club has the right to refuse any entry they feel unacceptable or inappropriate and is not responsible for loss or damage to scarecrows while on display.
After installation, call 508-845-2630 or email [email protected] to register your contact information – name, phone number, and email.
??? For more information, visit www.spiritofshrewsbury.com.