By Joan F. Simoneau, Community Reporter
Marlborough – Beginning Oct. 19, a new commuter bus service connecting Marlborough and downtown Boston will be in operation, provided through the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT)’s BusPlan program and Peter Pan bus line. A formal announcement of the program which will provide weekday morning service into Boston and return evening service to Marlborough was made Oct. 2 at a special ceremony held at the new senior center.
“We are delighted to partner with Peter Pan to provide this connection to downtown Boston,” said MassDOT Rail andt Transit Administrator Astrid Glynn.
“The new Peter Pan bus service into Boston will provide commuters with a new option for getting to and from work,” said Mayor Arthur Vigeant. “Rather than driving themselves, commuters can relax on a bus fully equipped with Wi-Fi and very comfortable seats.”
The bus will depart from Marlborough at 6:30 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. at a stop located at the parking garage at the corner of Newton and Granger streets. It will make stops in Boston at Copley Square, Park Square, the State House, and South Station. Return trips will depart from the State House, Park Square and Copley Square starting at 4:45 p.m. and 5:45 p.m. Both inbound and outbound trips will stop in Framingham at Flutie Pass. Tickets are $6 each way.
“We are pleased to provide the new commuter service, working with the city of Marlborough and MassDOT,” said Christopher Crean, vice president of safety and security for Peter Pan in addressing the group.
BusPlus is a public/private partnership in which MassDOT provides new regional buses to private for-profit bus companies as a way to increase commuter options across the commonwealth. The companies are then responsible for regional services improvements as well as all bus maintenance and operating costs.
Vigeant and MassDOT also announced the delivery of a van for use by the Council on Aging. The van was awarded to Marlborough by MassDot after the local Council on Aging submitted a grant application to the state’s Mobility Assistance Program, which provided 80 percent of the funding needed for the city to purchase the van. The city funded the remaining 20 percent.
“The Council on Aging has had the van since August and I’m excited that it has already been put to good use,” said Vigeant. “It provides a great new option for helping our seniors get to their appointments and to programs available at the senior center.”