By Jeff Slovin, Contributing Writer
Northborough – On January 24, 1766, the district of Northborough was incorporated; 250 years to the day later, the current residents kicked off a year-long sestercentennial (250th) anniversary celebration at the First Parish Church Unitarian Universalist.
Over 150 residents and guests gathered at the church, which currently stands at the site of the town’s first meeting house. Town moderator Fred George opened the proceedings, the Color Guard from the Vincent F. Picard American Legion Post 234 presented the flag and the Northborough Girls Scouts and Boy Scouts led the gathering the Pledge of Allegiance.
Linda McLinden of the First Parish Church, Norm Corbin and Selectman Bill Pantazis all provided various historical perspectives of early Northborough history, while the Northborough Chorus performed several numbers.
Town Clerk Andrew Dowd read excerpts from the town’s incorporation documents. Lt. Governor Karyn Polito, U.S. Congressman James McGovern, State Senator Harriet Chandler and state representatives Harold Naughton (D-Clinton) and Danielle Gregoire (D-Marlborough) all addressed the gathering. The Rev. Dr. Anita Farber-Robertson closed the celebration with a benediction.
The reception following the service featured a specially crafted cake modeled after the First Parish Church that was created by the “Cake Boss” Buddy Valastro and a special “Northborough 250th Anniversary Blend” of coffee produced by Armeno Coffee Roasters.
The 250th Town Anniversary Committee, chaired by Virginia Simms George, organized the event. More information about upcoming events can be found at www.northborough250.org.