By Melanie Petrucci, Contributing Writer
Westborough – John Walden, manager of Westborough Department of Public Works (DPW), discussed the need to move ahead with the Nourse Cemetery development at the Jan. 10 Board of Selectmen’s meeting.
“Recently we did an inventory of what we have at the existing cemetery at Pine Grove and, based on what’s available, we have a need to proceed with the development of the Nourse Street Cemetery,” he told selectmen.
The decision was made roughly 10 years ago to establish a new cemetery on Nourse Street and in 2011 the town had a cemetery design firm plan a layout. Since then, the DPW has had work done in phases before major work such as excavation, grading and site work. The question is how this should be phased over the next few years, with selectmen making decisions prior to Town Meeting in March.
Walden prepared a spreadsheet of options for the selectmen to consider for development of the cemetery which needs to be operational in the next three years. He also suggested that the Nourse Cemetery be used for non-residents and Pine Grove be reserved for residents. Ultimately, Walden asked if the development should be phased in or should the project be approved all at once at a total cost of just under $1.7 million.
Selectman George Barrette thanked Walden for his presentation with the cost estimates and options presented. He thought that it made sense to go with the all-at-once choice so that it can be completed in the needed time frame.
Selectman Chair Ian Johnson agreed.
“I prefer that we go to Town Meeting with the full option,” he said. “We are going to get the question anyway, we know how much this is going to cost so why not go with the full cost, get it appropriated and move it along?”
This was the view shared by the board and the option that they will support going forward to Town Meeting.