Spag’s memorial plaque to also be unveiled
Shrewsbury – Grossman Development Group (GDG) and UniBank are inviting the public to attend the Lakeway Commons Grand Opening Saturday, Oct. 21 from 3:30 – 8 p.m.
The special event will be held at the newly redeveloped plaza located at the site of the former Spag’s store at 193 Boston Turnpike, in partnership with the Corridor Nine Area Chamber of Commerce.
Guests can obtain a “passport” from the chamber that day that can be stamped when they visit participating businesses in Lakeway Commons. Completed passports can then be returned for a chance to win a grand prize worth over $3,600. Grand prize items include gift baskets filled with products, snacks and services; free classes; restaurant and store gift cards; a $1,000 gift card to Tile “Works”, Inc.; and an overnight stay at the Mirbeau Resort & Spa, in Plymouth, courtesy of GDG President Howard Grossman.
Additionally, these participating Lakeway Commons businesses will be offering exclusive freebies and special discounts that day to those who bring their passport to be stamped:
- Burtons Grill & Bar: 20 percent discount card ($10 off $50).
- Especially for Pets: pet buffet; free samples; a chance at a $500 holiday shopping spree; meet the experts: groomer and trainer; 20 percent off coupon.
- EXIT Realty Partners: $500 off realty services.
- LunchboxWax: buy one/get one postcards for wax services; free $10 gift cards, products and samples; a chance at winning $250 in products and services; kids’ art activity; signature candy table of sweet wrapped treats; an offer for free, unlimited wax services the first month.
- Massage Envy: free product samples and service enhancements.
- Orangetheory Fitness: free drawstring bags to guests, filled with gym goodies and a free class pass.
- Starbucks: free, reusable cups for the first 200 customers who visit the store (during the event hours) and then free coffee sampling and pastries thereafter.
- Tavern in the Square: t-shirts and $10 gift cards.
- Tile “Works”, Inc.: $50 coupon to every guest.
- UniBank: spinners, lip balm, pens, sunglasses, water bottles, and reusable bags.
- Whole Foods: reusable bags and store snacks to sample.
At 5 p.m., a ceremony will be held in the open area between Tavern in the Square and Whole Foods, featuring guests Lieutenant Governor Karyn Polito, State Sen. Michael Moore (D-Millbury) and State Rep. Hannah Kane (R-Shrewsbury). The ceremony will culminate with the unveiling of a special plaque honoring the late Spag’s owner, Anthony Borgatti.
“The Lakeway Commons businesses and restaurants have been working very hard to get ready for this,” said Grossman. “We are also excited for the public to see the Spag’s memorial bronze plaque that we commissioned sculptor David Phillips to create.”
Due to the expected crowd size, parking in the plaza will be extremely limited that day. The public is encouraged to park at the Hoagland Pincus Center (222 Maple Ave., Shrewsbury) and take advantage of a free shuttle that bring them to and then back from Lakeway Commons. This complimentary shuttle is sponsored by GDG and UniBank.